View Single Post
Old 03-Apr-2005, 12:54
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Thanks keefer and Shazaam,

So as I understand it............. Because I have an uprated 748 engine that has been turned into an 853, with increased engine compression. ( new pistons, barrells and rings. Run in properly.) This could be the cause why I have quite a heavy oil smear/deposit behind the engine breather and on the rear engine case? This happens every time I return from a ride where I have been flat out or have covered several hundred miles in one hit?

My concern was as you have stated shazaam, that being oil getting onto my rear tyre. That and it looks unsightly/wrong.

I suppose I could add either another hole ( between the reeds) or enlarge the one in the reed valve assembly to quicken or aid the oil returning through it and back to the engine. Modifying the breather system to one like a RS is a thought although at this moment I would rather leave this for now. I have noticed that my engine does go through a bit of engine oil, not a huge amount. Perhaps there is an amount of blow by occuring.

When the engine breather is screwed back into place. Is there any sealant that is applied to the threads. I ask this because when I examined mine, I noticed that this looked like the case. Perhaps if it is, then this could be re applied as well? Just a thought.

Again, many thanks for the information.

DC.