View Single Post
Old 07-May-2015, 19:57
Montjuic
Bikes: Fire-blade, Monster 600

Mood: Living the dream!!!
Disappointment springs to mind:-
I ordered an engine drop leak tester and awaited it's arrival. On Tuesday I travelled down to Epsom to pick up a 1999/2000 monster 600 engine. With the help of Kev, we think the engine is a 1995-7 as it is supposed to be from a 'T' reg monster with approx 8000 miles.

This morning (due to the lack of work) I thought I would compression test the newly acquired engine with a set of jump leads, (the engine was cold). Rear piston 100 psi and front piston 25 psi? Uhmm disappointment, but a winter project.

The engine drop tester appeared this afternoon so this evening I gave it a go (engine cold as it's stripped down). On unpacking the new toy and saw that the percentage loss gauge was broken, uhmm disappointment, not letting that stop me I plumbed it in and cranked it up to 100 psi, on both cylinders the valves held and both sets of rings leaked......but I don't know by how much %.

Phoned up ducatimondo (www.ducatimondo.co.uk or Chris Brody 01422 345823) and new rings are £95.43 per cylinder, uhmm disapointment.

Has anyone any ideas, like would hone/deglazing work. I am investigating an alternative source for rings.