Thread: Bike Stripdown
View Single Post
Old 29-Oct-2005, 16:06
500SD

Its dead easy - just use your common sense and take the above advice - proper storage - lots of pics etc etc.

With my old 748 SPS I stripped it down to nothing loads of times - the most memorable was after my lowside @ Rockingham - I managed to do it with a detatched collar bone and one arm in a sling in just a few hours - on my own!!!

bodywork Off - hang it all up if you can
then I would support the engine - axle stands etc - so that you can aim to lift the frame off from it - rather than any other method - its a lot easier this way - have the frame as the fixed piece of the bike - remove everything else
obviously try and get the swingarm piviot out first - its a pig if its stuck - you will need a BIG HAMMER and lots of patience
wheels
exhaust
forks/yokes
electrics - taking pics of routing
swingarm out is pretty simple - a bit fiddly - but you can do it without breaking the chain!!!
rear subframe

You can remove the frame from the engine without draining coolant fluids - its a bit tricky and you may need to suspend the headlamp bracket and other stuff by a garage rafter etc to keep it out of the way

Some of the regulars might post some "in progress" pics to show you the various stages.

Dead easy job - just take your time - loads of pics - its a good opportunity to clean everything!

Khushy