View Single Post
Old 03-May-2005, 13:15
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by keefer
would be surprised if anyone tells you any different, but I think it is quite a big problem.

Well, just like Rockhopper, I'll tell you different. I use WD40 to clean my wheels as well, I usually do the 'spray it on a rag first' routine, but there have been times when I've applied it direct.

I don't use chain lube anymore either on the premise that the X rings hold the grease in and all that's required is a regular application of WD40 to keep surface rust to a minimum, so I spray my chain up each time I go out.

When cleaning the wheels or lubing the chain, I've often got some overspray onto the tyre. You have to try pretty hard to get it onto the contact area of the tyre though, because that area is usually well masked simply by being underneath the tyre. The overspray only usually gets onto the sidewall of the tyre and I figure if I'm trying to corner on that I'm probably already off the bike.

I have got a tiny amount onto the contact area before, but it's not like I've slathered the whole side of the tyre in WD40 around it's whole circumference, probably just a patch about an inch or two long (usually on the left hand side) and about half an inch wide. I've just wiped it off with a dry rag.

What's the worst that could happen? If you've really got the thing on it's ear the tyre may give a little twitch if the WD40 was still on the tyre, but it would be so quick that you wouldn't even notice it. The WD40 isn't absorbed by the tyre so it will evaporate with the heat in the tyre and get rubbed off pretty quickly by the road surface anyhow.