View Single Post
Old 07-Jan-2010, 11:58
Bikes: Ducati 748, Ducati 851, Honda CBR600RR

Mood: Varies!
Friday rant

I,m with the sceptics on this - global warming has become a huge industry which is making a lot of people a lot of money and virtually all the people who campaign on the issue of global warming generate a bigger carbon footprint in a week than I do in a lifetime! There seems to be a lack of honesty about many of the issues such as the nonsense of carbon trading and "zero emission" electric vehicles which are powered by electricity generated by coal-fired power stations (as well as all the toxic metals in the batteries). The only real way to assess the environmental impact of any technology is over the total life cycle so you need to measure the energy used to manufacture something instead of just the energy used to run it - I suspect that in the case of wind turbines the energy they produce during their short lifetime does not even pay back the energy required to manufacture, install and maintain them.
The disturbing thing about the global warming lobby is how easily it has distracted attention from the real issues such as the extinction of other species and the damage that man is doing to the environment by uncontrolled development and the rapidly expanding population.

I,m off to take my medication now and dream of dry roads and vee twin noises!