Thread: Race Bike
View Single Post
Old 21-Jul-2004, 17:45
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Yes agree with the one class competitive comments, especially the CB5's, they do have a reputation around the paddock. I loved it the other day at Snet watching my CB5 mates going around and a spectator next to me said to his mate 'oh here come the CB500's, the best racing of the day, watch this lot, they're nutters' - LOL, but if you're going to race, then why not race!!! It's proper racing with people around you trading places at every corner, you get him at one corner and he gets you back at the next. From my experience of the TZ's and from watching other races like SOT and 600's, the field is more strung out - I'm at the back of the TZ field (AT THE MOMENT MONTY) and sometimes it's like a trackday as you're not racing with anyone, just in an 8 lap trackday session with a standing start and a number on your bike, point is you need to be mixing it to be racing properly and to actually learn anything and improve. People race because they're competitive, so why join a less competitve 'race' if you have a choice, although the decision is obviously far more complex than that? Is there any correlation between one make racing and more accidents, I've no idea...

A number of my CB5 mates are going into SV's next year, it feels like a natural next step progression - it's really taken off - they look like 'normal' race bikes and the front runners would hold their own in the 600 class - it's mightily competitive, although more expensive than CB's. It's with Bemsee at loads of good circuits....must be one of the best options I reckon.

Ray - as regards hiring a bike, Paul Russo who does our No Limits Trackday hire bikes will hire out his race prepped R6's for racing - there are certain conditions obviously but he takes each situation on its own merits. I've just spoken with him, so if anyone is interested, give him a call on 07712 815827.

WeeJohnyB
PS MONTY - maybe a better option would have been for me to buy your TZ off you for £2k and for you to be team technician - maybe that way I'd feel more like thrashing the little beastie without fear of binning someone elses bike