View Single Post
Old 20-Apr-2009, 18:32

I've now got 1100 miles on my 1198S,first service done and opened it up for the first time (above 7000rpm) yesterday.

Animal is a good description (I owned an 04 ZX10 for 3 years and an 08 ZX10 for a year and I don't think even these bikes compare !).

I had 'issues' with DTC up until the first service - as already said,anything above setting 4 is pointless on a dry road.

I'm not a wheely freak but a bike with this much poke and so little weight (even at running in revs) does lift the front under brisk acceleration - even with DTC on level 3 it was cutting the motor and slamming the front down with little in the way of height with the front wheel - had a few nasty bollox/tank interfaces - almost snapping my wrists was when I decided something needed doing.

At the first service the mechanic checked for fault codes (both on the main ECU and the DTC ecu) but no faults appeared - a quick call to Ducati UK revealed nothing so I was advised to try the bike with DTC off - if the fault re-appeared then that ruled out DTC.

But,after the service the fault disappeared - no problems with level 3 (unless the road conditions were a little ****).

I've also got that annoying fueling problem around 3500 rpm - easily sorthed by running at 4000 rpm but that's not really the point.

When funds recover a PC V and a dyno run should sort it out.

The comments about the handling not being as good as a 996 are a little puzzling - I owned a 996S a while back and just couldn't get on with the heavy steering - on track it was very hard work - mucking about with ride height did little to help - the 1198 feels far better,quicker to turn in whilst still holding a fairly tight line .

I read the TWO article 1198S -v- 09 R1 - Rob Hoyles was the rider (no slouch !) - the R1 was damned with feint praise whilst the Duc won the plaudits - just one mans opinion but the 1198S IS the best bike i've ever ridden/owned and i've been through a few.

Roll on the first trackday in May...

I haven't fiddled with suspension adjustment yet - thinking about getting Colin from 100% Suspension to sort it out (he did my ZX10 and transformed it) - the rear feels fine with my (ample) weight aboard but the front does have a small amount of understeer.

Oh aye,first time i've used these new Pirelli SP's - they feel great and warm up far quicker than the SC pro's i'm used to - grip doesn't seem an issue.