View Single Post
Old 25-Apr-2013, 00:29

Let there be light!

Like many others, I have pondered for some time how Ducati could insult their loyal following by claiming that the ST has a headlight.
As everyone knows, the glow worm in the jar is nothing short of diabolical.
For some time I have viewed with envious eyes, the offering from across the water which is said to be the answer to every ST owners woes.
The Ducati designs creation is indeed a stellar improvement over the original, but at a price.
Having emptied my pockets, taken a hammer to my china pig and robbed the kids of their dinner money, I was still a considerable sum short to purchase the Hella equipted offering which I find is no longer available anyway.....Doh!
At this point I started to wonder how hard can it be???
Trawling the interweb I found that the 90mm Hella lamps are like rocking horse poop in this country and if you can find some they are damn expensive. So where can I get some for cheap money?
After nearly getting arrested crawling around car parks looking at car headlights, I finally hit pay dirt, on such a silly looking car too.
Smart have seen fit to provide me with the eyes for my latest project in the form of their Roadster model. So instead of having to stump up £300 for some new lamps, I became the proud owner of a pair from a car breaker for the sum of £60. Phase one complete.

Phase two: Fit them into the bike in a sturdy and eye pleasing way. Hmmmmm....
Being an Engineer and not being a stranger to the black art of fibreglass, its now time for the hard work........

To be continued............(with pictures)......