View Single Post
Old 06-Dec-2005, 21:14
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Minitwins regs - airbox rule

I asked this question by way of a email to the Minitwins organisers via the link on the Minitwins website

How come with a 72bhp limit there is a rule that prevents you from modifying the airbox lid which is common practice on Ducati 2-valve air cooled twins even for road use.
Surely if such a modification was carried out and the bike still remained bellow the 72bhp limit it should not be a issue.

As a previous regular SoT racer I changed to the Ducati Desmo Due series for 2005 but did one NG meeting at Pembrey on my 51bhp 583cc Ducati, to comply with the rules I swapped the drilled airbox lid I normally use for the standard one.

I have since purchased a Ducati 750SS with a view to racing it in some Minitwin races, it should be capable of producing a maximum of 64bhp with race cans, K&N filter and a Dynojet kit, as with the smaller Ducati the filter and jet kit work well with mods to the airbox lid although only a small improvement in bhp is to be gained the bike will still remain 6 to 7 bhp below the class limit.

As such could the ruling on modifying the airbox lid be dropped or modified to allow it permissable for 2 vale air-cooled Ducatis to do this mod providing they stay with in the 72bhp limit
I'm sure this rule will also be of interest to the 620 class riders in Desmo Due who may also be considering entering some Minitwin races in 2006.

Regards

Kevin Ellis