Thread: Race Bike
View Single Post
Old 20-Jul-2004, 11:24
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Felix
Why don't you race yours?

Well that is an option. With the work Neil's done to it's supposed to make around 120bhp at the rear (give or take a couple) plus it has the lightened flywheel ...

But ... I would have thought that would have been the more expensive way to do things. I need a bike for commuting so I will need another bike anyway. I had considered turning mine into a race bike and buying a Multi for the road.

But then I would have to spend a fair bit of cash on mine I think. Slipper clutch (£500?); race bodywork, incl tank etc (£500?); spare wheels for WOW's and tyres (£500?), rearsets (£250?) plus whatever else you guys tell me I've missed. If mine is worth say £5500-£6000 then after I race it it's worth nowhere near as much and I've thrown a lot more money at it. If I was to buy a race bike that had all the trimmings (or as much as possible) then to my mind the purchase price of the bike is cheaper, you have the potential to get a lot more for your cash than I do currently with maybe picking up an RS or something that has already been raced and therefore not worth it's non-raced value (if you know what I mean). I hope you're following me here ...

Taking it through to it's logical conclusion ..

I could spend another say £2k on my bike getting it ready and buying spare wheels, gene, tyre warmers etc and then at the end of the racing the whole lot is worth drastically less, considering the road bike is worth roughly £5750 now.

Effectively I would have spent nearly £8k on the race package (realistically it would most likely go over) and still need to buy another bike ...

Or, if I keep mine and buy a race package what could I get for £8K? would it be a better bike than a MY 2000 996? I would have thought so. Therefore being worth more at the end of the racing (assuming it was purchased after already being raced) Or I could spend less depending on whats around etc ... for a 99* based race bike.

And this leaves my road bike alone and leaves it's value where it is. Does that make sense?

So, do you think I'm full of sh*te or what?