Thread: Tyre Pressures
View Single Post
Old 05-Jan-2010, 09:29
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
from what I recall all the majority of tyre manufacturers recomend high pressure for road use.
These aren't necessarily the optimum pressure for each type of bike, road condition or riding style. But they know there will be know tyre issues under normal use even when encountering pot holes etc. and therefore you can't hold them liable for say a damaged wheel rim when encountering said pot hole or the resulting accident.

As Chris says on the DD bikes and other race bikes we drop the pressures to below 30psi whem measured cold as these are specific conditions, with the softer tyre caused by the lower pressure it flexis more, the radial belts move over each other more, causing friction and hence heat which in turn raises the pressure.

Many track tyres use compounds that rely on running hot to allow them to grip as designed and lowering the pressures allow them to get to these temperatures quicker, either that or use tyre warmers. Now you may put the warmer onto a cold tyre at 28psi but when its properly warmed you will probably find the pressure has rissen to around 34psi.
On the roads its hard to keep the heat in these sort of tyres and once they have cooled and the pressure dropped you wouldn't really want to encounter a pot hole especially if your using Mag wheels as i do on my 998 hence me usually running road tyre pressure when cold of 32 psi

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook