Thread: Termi can mods
View Single Post
Old 27-Feb-2005, 10:15
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
No comment on the attitude of some posters, I dont think I need to, just comments on the can modifications and a ramble.

Got carbon termi's with the 998 when I bought it, but last year in North Yorkshire if you were spotted with carbon exhausts, whether legal or not you were pulled and checked, VRN'd or fined and yes they were there with the DoT man with a noise meter parked outside the police station in Sherburn on more than one occasion.
Once you were pulled then the visor was brought into it and the little number plate and you ended up with a big fine, or if all three were found to be illegal then court, instead of just a VRN or a £30 fine.
For that reason I sold the Carbon cans to go covert, bought Titanium Termi's for what I got for the carbon ones so no outlay and they looked near standard when on fly by with the throttle shut in top gear
If I was spotted then PC.Plod would not have the same reason/inclination to stop me over a carbon canned rider and I did not get stopped once last year in over 4000miles.

I have now decided that the carbon 'looks' better then Ti and am in the process of re sleeving them in Carbon to match the airbox but thats my bling decision which has cost me nothing except for some new wadding which was going to be done this year anyway.
If I had gone for the reasonable option I would have had the standard cans Bora'd like the ones on the 748 I got off of Skids so I would not get a second glance of the police but then again "there louder than my Termi's!"

I will be emailing you Tony for some details as I have read all your info and think that your mod is excellent and with the added knowledge that the removable baffle can be fitted/removed whenever necessary then its got to be a real world option to the people who dont have the disposable income that a lot of peeps on here have.
As you say though, it could be spent on trackdays

I'll get my coat