View Single Post
Old 14-May-2003, 20:58
Big Twin

Looking for Mechanic teacher

Hi there,

I have owned a number of Ducatis in the past and currently own a 916 track bike and a 996SPS.

I have been comtemplating for a long time doing most of the maintenance myself, since my experience of Ducati garages are essentially:
- Good job but outrageously expensive.
- Bad job and outrageously expensive.
- Doubtful job sometimes though cheap.
Also with a dedicated track bike, I am looking at spending my money on frequent services rather than people to do it for me!

I have learned my own way to master the basic maintenance of pretty much everything but the engine. Brakes, changing parts, wheel removal, clutch operations are now OK.

I would like to take it to the next stage and start touching at the engine. But I am so bloody scared of doing anything wrong that might have terminal consequences!! So I am turning towards the DSC to offer help. Henners told me that there was no plans for courses in the near future so I am launching a cry for help to fellow skilled DSC members.

I would like to master things that appear basic such as:
- Cambelt tension and change
- Throttle bodies synchro
- Fork servicing
Once confident with all that I would like to also learn Valve clearance check and adjustment and fault finding on electrics.

I am ready to reward this fellow skilled DSC member that will spend a day with me working on the bike with:
- Eternal gratitude
- Free beer tokens for some time
- One of the very first copy of Joe Bar Team in English (hilarious Comic book).
- A gift voucher of £50 at a track day organiser or Ducati shop.

I leave in London - Battersea. Any body taking up the offer?
Please let me know on phil996@btopenworld.com

Cheers
Philippe