Thread: 749 Exhausts
View Single Post
Old 04-Apr-2005, 20:09
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
The standard system on a 749/999 is an asymetrical system with the pipes being differnt diameters and different lenghts. These have two catalytic converters one for each cylinder.

The asymetrical termi still has pipes with different lengths and diameters, but the catalysts have been removed. These have the ducati sound, but only give a small (if any) power gain. They comes with a new ECU to remap the fueling
Notes these do not fit on 749R's. They do save a lot of weight

Next up are full termis. These replace the end can and all the pipework, they provide a bigger power gain. They comes in various sizes up to 57mm. They also comes with new ECU's to remap the fueling.

I have heard that once the new ECU has been fitted to a bike it can not be used in another bike (I can not confirm this, but if I was buying a used termi I would check)

So why are people using power commanders.
If the ECU can not be moved to a new bike, then a new ECU would be needed (about £700). A power commander can be used instead and it is only £300. Also termi's are the only pipes that come with the new ECU, so if you fit a Leo Vinco you will need a Power Commnder.

Also the new ECU is not adjustable, so if you want to get a perfect mapping or you have any other tuning mods then you will need a power commander and some dyno time

Also differnt years and models have different swinging arms, make sure the pipe will fit with the swing arm as they need to be different

AFAIK the only system that is road legal is the original system

Hope that helps