Thread: 749BP v 749s
View Single Post
Old 08-Dec-2005, 10:42
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Here goes:

The 749 was launched in 2003. There were two models regular 749 and 749S. The engine was the same in both bikes. Both were available in monoposto or biposto format. Red and yellow. The 749S had higher spec suspension which was a Showa shock in place of the Sachs on the regular 749 and Titanium Nitrided forks. I think the forks themselves are a different spec as well.

In 2004 the 749 Dark was launched. Only available in biposto and matt black format. Same engine and chassis as the regular 749 but no steering damper. The 749S got a power hike via engine mods as mentioned above. The regular 749 was unchanged. The 749R was launched with full carbon fairing, full Ohlins, R spec swingarm, top spec motor etc.

In 2005 all models received the new fairing style with no upper vents. The 749 Dark was otherwise unchanged. The regular 749 is only available in biposto format and it got the swingarm style from the R models. The red bikes got black wheels and red frames. Yellow bikes stayed with silver frames and wheels. The 749S gets the fairing, swingarm and frame colour changes too and is now only available in red as a monoposto, or red and yellow as a biposto. The 749R loses its carbon fairing.

There you go - clear as mud!

I have an '04 749S and the power difference between the Dark and regular 749 models I'm told is fairly small. I haven't ridden the lesser models so I can't comment from experience. I bought the 749S for the upgraded suspension, which to me is the most important thing on a road bike rather than outright power.

[Edited on 8-12-2005 by Twinfan]