View Single Post
Old 27-Dec-2006, 14:25
Ducati Dealer
Mille
Bikes: 1098R Track Bike

Mood: Dealer of the Year 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by couchcommando
These liquid cooled Ducs are by Ducati's own admission playing a performance game with the Japanese that's why Ducati themselves use the litre IL4's as a benchmark, that's right a £7500 bike is the benchmark for a £12k+ bike....

For me all the true Ducati values as I see them are in the air cooled bikes, If I'm buying on traditional Ducati values I need only spend £6k on a 1000 sport to get everything Ducati stands for This bike has character in adundance, it has feel and it has something that sets it apart from the Japanese bike. It really is a bike the Japanese could never ever build. For the cost of a 1098 I could have one of these and a litre IL4.

I've never been to Boxhill in my life yet I'd argue I have the same biking values as many here damn we have 9 bikes including one in the lounge lol, your idea of the typical IL4 owner is way way off the mark

Hmmm, couch, I don't know where you are getting your figures but they are a bit adrift.
Yes, you are right, Ducati use IL4 machines as a benchmark but not £7,500!! RRP for an IL4 is circa £9 - 9.5K (I believe 9.4 for an R1 as an example - maybe someone else could clarify that? i'm not sure) I'm not talking what you bought it for or the 'deal' you got - but what the SRP is from the manufacturer!

Not the - "oh dear, we're 18 months in, next years bike is due out in 6 months time, best we discount the b*ll*cks out of this year's stock otherwise we'll never hit bonus! - price!

And the Ducati is not £12K, it's £11,250 for the entry model.

Before either bike has been discounted at the point of sale the difference is £1,850.
So that's £1,850 for Marchesini, Monobloc, Single sider, Digitek dash, Marelli FI and so on! Did I mention the handling???

Plus the exclusivity factor and then the unexplainable X factor! Not to mention the community, events - social side!

More importantly - just being that bit different to the squillions of folk that buy this years "must have IL4" destined unfrortunately to be next years "dog"!!

I know where I would and do spend my money! It's a no brainer!!
In fact i've dedicated my working life to this brand - Can't say I would be so happy to do so for many other brands!?!?

I mean I've got tins of soup with more personality than some IL4's!!!

Mart