View Single Post
Old 27-Dec-2006, 17:26
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Ducati Glasgow
Hmmm, couch, I don't know where you are getting your figures but they are a bit adrift.
Yes, you are right, Ducati use IL4 machines as a benchmark but not £7,500!! RRP for an IL4 is circa £9 - 9.5K (I believe 9.4 for an R1 as an example - maybe someone else could clarify that? i'm not sure) I'm not talking what you bought it for or the 'deal' you got - but what the SRP is from the manufacturer!
Not the - "oh dear, we're 18 months in, next years bike is due out in 6 months time, best we discount the b*ll*cks out of this year's stock otherwise we'll never hit bonus! - price!
And the Ducati is not £12K, it's £11,250 for the entry model.
Before either bike has been discounted at the point of sale the difference is £1,850.
So that's £1,850 for Marchesini, Monobloc, Single sider, Digitek dash, Marelli FI and so on! Did I mention the handling???
Plus the exclusivity factor and then the unexplainable X factor! Not to mention the community, events - social side!
More importantly - just being that bit different to the squillions of folk that buy this years "must have IL4" destined unfrortunately to be next years "dog"!!
I know where I would and do spend my money! It's a no brainer!!
In fact i've dedicated my working life to this brand - Can't say I would be so happy to do so for many other brands!?!?
I mean I've got tins of soup with more personality than some IL4's!!!
Mart

I wouldn't expect anything less from a biased dealer. No one ever pays list for a bike well not a Japanese bike. My 10R was £6499 OTR and there is no arguing that. Most of it's life the model was £7999 OTR, list for Japanese bikes is never paid and you know that.

I am a member of the bike buying public and I cannot justify the £4750 extra a 1098 would cost me. Now I've spent more on my bike to tailor it for me and it now has an ohlins shock, k-tech cartridges, cat removal and a power commander. So I'm still nearly £3k under the 1098 and I've got suspension that is set up for me which is better than a Duc set up for the average person, I have also got ITRO 170hp at the back wheel, the dyno will confirm.

As for the community side and events I've ridden bikes all my life and that is there no matter what type of bike you ride. I've met good people on all types of bikes and the common thing is a love of bikes.

If you really think you have tins of soup with more personality than an IL4 I suggest you try mine, it goes well , sounds awesome and has a beautiful intake noise from the airbox. Bland is the last thing it is

You touch on the Japanese bringing out new models regularly, correct me if I'm wrong but Ducati do exactly the same updating their bikes on a yearly basis ?

I don't have an unlimited budget to buy bikes with so I guess I'm not your target market shame cos I do like the look of the 1098