View Single Post
Old 28-Dec-2006, 22:23
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Well I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas, mine was certainly the strangest, and definitely one of the coolest I've ever had, but I'll carry on where I left off, which was just before Christmas.

On the 22nd of December we went to Medieval Times, which those of you that have watched The cable guy, starring Jim Carrey will know is a sort of Theatrical swords and jousting type affair, combined with loads of booze and some food. In fact, this was the very one that they used in the film.

I'd really been looking forward to this, and It's difficult to put into words just how much I enjoyed it, but suffice it to say that when I came out I had it on a par with racing at Willow Springs...seriously, it was absolutely fantastic. If you ever get the chance to go, DO NOT pass it up. There are 5 located across the States.

We arrived, and the Medieval theme is instantly in effect, with everyone calling you Lord or my Lady. We had our goofy picture taken with the king, then went and had some seriously strong cocktails and beer.

You all get assigned a Knight to cheer for, and ours on this occasion was the black and whit Knight, and so we wore black and white striped crowns. Lame yet truly brilliant.

The show is quite an affair, run to a soap opera type storyline, with performing Andalucian stallions, Falconry and of course the jousting, swordfighting and target events. The guys that do this are serious athletes and really go at it when it comes to the swordfighting and such with sparks flying off metal as they seemingly try to cleave each others skulls! It's pretty clear that it's choreographed, but they still managed to make it convincing enough that a drunken Otei was hoarse and red raced having enthusiatically screamed his way through the majority of the evening. (I have excellent and hilariously embarrasing videos that demonstrate this to great effect).

They don't provide utensils to eat with, and you only get 1 napkin (so I went to the bog, grabbed a load of paper towels and supplied the entire front row with them). The food is very good, simple fare. Huge bits of chicken, potato, ribs, soup and a desert, with a couple of free beers each.

The best bit, was that on the night, our chap was the winner of the tournament, until he was bumped off by the evil, scheming Lord Chancellor (plot twist).

A totally awesome show, and i'll definitely go again, but this time i'll dress up and REALLY get into it!