View Single Post
Old 29-Dec-2006, 00:59
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
One of the best things about the entire day, was that there were quite a few people attending that had been racing at Willow Springs, so i felt like I was in friendly company straight away.

One of these people was a crazy guy called Tim Martinez. Tim's a great bloke, and very funny. His SV 650 says everything about the man that tends to wander around in a carhaart one piece "bearsuit" and a santa hat most of the time. It has it's own wooden dash, stickers from everywhere all over it, graffitti, and even 3 rubber ducks named after each member of the glam rock band, Kiss. Awesome.

Willow Springs Superbike rider Robbie Dowie was there, as was Jason Perez and several other faces I recognized.

After lunch, It was time for me to perform in front of the camera. I didn't give it much thought untilI rolled up to Brant and we were about to set off, then the pressure seemed enormous. Fortunately, I rode smoothly and at what I figured was an extremely respectable pace for what was my 4th session on the track. I was pretty beat when i came in and rolled up alongside Brant. He asked me if I wanted the good news or the bad news.

The good news was that I was one of the quicker people he'd video'd, which made it more fun for him. The bad news was that the camera had packed in after the 3rd corner!...AARRRRGGHHHH!

I had been so relieved with how it had gone, and to be told that we'd have to go and do it all again was a little frustrating, but never mind. Sure enough, the next session came around, and I tried to focus on a few points that Brant had mentioned might make me go quicker.

I didn't think I rode as well as the first session, but Brant said that my lines and corner speed through some of the turns had improved and that I seemed to have actually taken notice of what he'd said and put it to use immediately, which was rare as folk usually revert back to what is comfortable. Perhaps this is why I didn't feel as fast, but whatever the case, we got the footage and I'll try to get it uploaded somewhere at some point.

The last session was just a bit of a muck about, grinding kneesliders and having a blast. I really like left handers, and turn 5 is a fast sweeping uphill left with great grip and good camber. I hardly ever wear out kneesliders, but I knackered the one on my left knee through that turn. Awesome!

So then, to summarise: laguna was a slight disappointment as far as the facility itself was concerned. I thought it would be a bit grander, but the track is amazing and I can't wait to go back one day and improve the areas that needed work.

I simply can't tell you how lucky we were with the weather. It was perfect all day, then about 20 minutes after we'd done our last session, it totally hammered down. really dodged a bullet that day.

We went out that night and had a great meal with Tim Martinez, his partner Tracy and Dave Wallis and his friend Carrie. It rained all night. Phew!