Thread: enduro newbee
View Single Post
Old 29-Dec-2006, 14:34
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
I've got a KTM200exc & been entering some enduros this year. I've not done any trail riding though.

The choice of bike is a tough one as there are so many variables that you need to take into consideration, ie. budget, main use (trails with some road work or enduro racing), previous offroad experience, your maintenance skills, level of fitness (lighter bikes are less demanding), how much fun do you want to have (2-stroke = max fun!), etc, etc....the list goes on....

My view on choice of bike:
DR's are good trail bikes, but ain't gonna cut it in any enduro race (too soft & heavy).....WR's (Yam) are good, but a bit dated & lean slightly more towards trails (apart from latest '07 models), CRF***X's (Hon) are very good, but KTM's are the real racers. Spec of KTM's is higher than the jap machines. Go to a local enduro & you'll see most bikes are orange! If you decide on KTM, you'll have the choice of 2-stroke or 4-stroke as well. 450exc could be a bit of a handful (in race conditions) if you've not ridden offroad before & is heavier than the 2-smoke models, but is probably a better choice if you intend to ride it on the road for any distance (between trails).

To race you just need to get yourself kitted out (motocross gear for racing as you'll get too hot in enduro kit), buy an annual race licence (£40), join a club (£25), then send off an entry form for each meeting (£30-40). You'll also need to prep the bike & get a few spare parts (very cheap), etc. PM me if you need any help or advice.

Jools is spot on.....cycle lots & get down the gym....3-4 hr races are the norm so you will get fitter. Be prepared to have trouble moving for a few days after each race! At 35, I don't heal or bounce as well as I used to when I raced motocross as a kid.

I'd also add, make sure you've got the time to ride & maintain it. It takes quite a while to clean, re-lube, change oil, etc after each ride/race. Since I started racing, I've rarely been able to find the time to ride my 749s. I've got a 4wk old son (+ 4yr old daughter) & am seriously considering selling the KTM + 749s to buy a 749r as I know i'm going to find it harder to get the time to ride both in '07 & I miss riding on the road.

Where abouts in the country are you booley?