View Single Post
Old 11-Oct-2006, 10:26
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Steve
I am or should I say John Mossey Restorations are currently restoring my Pantah 600. Not quite a classic as mine's a 1986 model, but getting there.

On this subject I'm having a little difference of opinion with the engineer resoring the bike. He will be shortly sending everything to paint and wanted to know if I wanted the wheels painted gold (as they are now) or silver as they were originally.

In all the photos I have the wheels are always gold. I cant find any pictures of the bike with silver wheels. Mine is a 600cc Pantah in the silver blue bodywork, so the silver wheels wouldlook better but I want to restore this to the original state so my head says gold.

Who is right the restorer or all the pitures I have???

You could try the Ducati Owners Club. I'm sure they will be able to give you the ref no and of the correct shade of paint too.

I've had quite a few ' classic ' bikes and my view is so long as you aren't doing something which is irreversable and the bike in question isn't a particularly rare or valuable machine ( Say a Brough Superior ) then what the hell, it's your bike so if you prefer silver wheels then paint them silver.

I've listened to folk at the classic bike shows arguing over whether footrest rubbers are correct..get a life!

Personally I prefer bikes which haven't been restored. I was down at Beulieu this summer and there was an old boy who had ridden there on an ancient flat tank Norton and sidecar, hand gearchange and all that. It was covered in burnt on oil and looked like it got washed with an oily rag every 2nd year. The stories that bike could probably tell! I think it should be against the law to restore a machine like that.

Hope you post up some piccies when you've finished, it sounds like she will look gorgeous