View Single Post
Old 24-Jun-2005, 18:24
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Andyb, I don't really understand that matchstick analogy - it doesn't seem to really make sense.

I think I'll stick to the advice from Sigma, Cornerspeed and Shazaam and run a 525 on my 996. Especially seeing as my gearing is 14/39 and not the 15/36 standard gearing, I weigh 94kg's and the front wheel seems to come up regularly. For the sake of a few grams, and none of us are Rossi here, I'd rather have the piece of mind that I've got a nice strong chain on the bike.

As you appear to be lining up a batting list, i would still open with John Hackett.

I cant understand why you would go with that 14/39 gearing??? How low is that? You use your 996 on the road?? and as you say, none of us are Rossi here!

If you are doing 10000 miles a year then of course you go with a larger longer lasting 525. If like me you dont do a lot of road miles on it then 520..............

Its worth a phone call to jhp just to listen to his analogy. Its about the width of the full match stick versus half the match stick, in relation to the width of a 525 link pin, being wider than a 520 pin.