Thread: Blooo Duke
View Single Post
Old 19-Jan-2005, 17:59
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by beancounter
Well it seems like they're expecting about 100 bhp (altough I shudder to think about the cost) but how would you get the weight down to 160kg ? That seems much harder to me.

Well yes, I shudder to think about blooo dukes cost but then again it can't be any more than other people spend on their pride and joy (thinks...nearly three grand for a 57mm termi system for a 999R which nobody really needs for the extra power). You have to admit, it's a very special bike, it's very different and I'm sure riding it and fettling it brings Mort a lot of pleasure.

100 bhp needn't cost that much though, as Ali says you should be able to pick up a 1000DS motor from a scrappers that'd just drop straight in. Using current Ducati figures (yes, I know they've changed from 'at the wheel' to flywheel figures) the 1000DS motor puts out 95bhp as standard with catalytic convertors and all that jazz. Should be able to see 100 bhp easily with simple things like free flow cans, filters, chips etc or if you want to go mental there's always Sigma's 1080DS conversion with high comp pistons and porting. I guess the main limitation with big bhp is ultimately the two valves, but before that keeping it cool enough limits the bhp you can produce (particularly the rear cylinder). The 1000DS lump has got a new fin pattern and improved cooling, but even so, you're going to get into reliability issues much beyond 100-ish bhp IMHO

As for the weight, again Ducati quote 179Kg standard, so 19 kg weight loss? Once you strip off all the non-essential bits, get some lighter wheels, half fairing and have you felt the weight of the standard cans? Each one of my original ST cans weighs nearly 2Kg more than the DP ones I have. So, it's a challenge, but I reckon it's do-able. Might be eccentric going this route when you could have a sorted 749/999 for the same dosh, but I don't think this is the point. If you want something special and uniquely your own it's always gonna cost.