View Single Post
Old 15-Feb-2005, 10:38
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
Well. I don't want to be too 'bleeding heart' about all this and I hope I'm not being too precious.

The trouble is, you see, that I'm a mouthy type of bloke who has always got something to say. Since I have to write a lot in my job, some years ago I thought that I would be a lot more productive if I learned to touch type. So now, since I can type nearly as fast as I can speak, you lot get the dubious benefit of me being mouthy on-line as well.

I'm not saying that there is a two tier club...yet. I'm not pointing fingers at any racers, or the management team, for trying to give the DSC more pizazz. It's just that I see the first little hairline cracks appearing in the fabric of the club and all I'm saying is - let's all be aware that this could happen, and guard against it, before the little hairline cracks become bigger. I thought that I might be in a minority of one when I piped up at the AGM, but the general mutters of agreement in the meeting and the many people who told me that they shared my views in the pub afterwards tells me that we do have an issue that could escalate if it's not carefully managed.

I really hope that the series is a success, but it could also become a victim of it's own success. If it starts getting publicity on ducati.com, in MCN and some of the monthlies perhaps it may start to attract more serious racers. A couple of years down the line we could hear things like "Well, Desmodue has been a rip-roaring success, hey, have you seen that you can get a 748 for £3-3500 now? What about running a 748 series alongside Desmodue" and so on.

It doesn't take a large stretch of the imagination to see that in a few years time the club could be running several championships. You could have a growing section of the club that only cares about racing and who look upon the likes of people that staff the BMF stand as boring old fogies that they have nothing in common with.

Do you see where I'm coming from? If my DSC history is correct, the DSC itself was formed through people who wanted a livelier club that catered for the newer bikes rather than being stuck in a bevel driven time warp. Could it be that a similar racing faction might find itself at odds with the 'boring' road rider and launch the Ducati Racing Club?

I hope not, but let's not be in denial about the fact that it could happen unless we acknowledge the possibility and guard against it.

PS: Skids

Appreciate the offer of a whizz round Cadwell, but I won't be at the trackday. It's just a few days from my daughters wedding and Mrs Jools wants me to remove any possibility that I'll turn up in plaster. She could have a point, I would've been in plaster at my own wedding (after a coming together between my Kawasaki and a Group 4 armoured transit) if I hadn't sawn the pot off myself the night before

Wise words as always Jools - the very fact that you post these words along with similar words from others means, I believe, that the self-regulating nature of the DSC will prevail.

Whilst not all aspects of the race series are in control of the members, we have the ability to influence and to a degree dictate the rules - which may perhaps include prioritising of entries to the DD series??

The involvement of non-particpating members and non-members alike is key to its success, its a DSC series and long shall it remain so. We're just the clowns on the stage, the circus wouldn't run without all the supporting crews or audience. (just hope the wheels don't fall off my bike!!!! )

It is being seen as a showpiece for the DSC, but do you remember how quiet it was on this board last winter? At least we've got lots to talk about .

Tim