View Single Post
Old 05-Mar-2006, 13:02
Mille

Mood: twitching
Metal in sump - rockers? (material insight 1)

Took as many photos of the rockers via the covers so i could track wear and tear. then decided to change the oil in the 1999 996bip.

Took the oil filter off then the sump plug (which has a magnetic pickup on it) and low and behold guess what i saw on the sump plug! What I guess could be called Shaffer’s of metal fillings (looks like strands of cut wire) . I am guessing this is a rocker or G0d help me “rockers!” chrome falling apart..

Am I right in thinking there are 16 of them?! KNICKERS! this is going to be fun.! Don’t mind doing the belts etc.. but the rockers and the shims was something i was hopeing not to have to do except annual services when I was going to let someone else do it. Which brings me onto my next point..

I am now trying to calculate worst cost pricing for say SIGMA or Pro twins to do the investigation and replacing. (will post results when i speak to them BUT I don’t like talking to garages about such matters as I can almost hear down the telephone line there little brains making a ker-ching noise)

As anyone got similar stories (to confirm the fillings are rockers otherwise its a complete engine strip down to find the source :-( including the costs they paid ?)

Everyone here rates Motto Louigi but he’s a bit far away far away from Epsom Downs in Surrey. (Particularly as I have to get back from there afterwards)

Can anyone confirm that each rocker costs £80 plus VAT?
How much are the shimms (they come in a multi pack dont they?)

I have attached a picture of one of the Shaffer’s collected when changing the engine oil....

Gut feeling this is going to cost me at least £800 

bum