View Single Post
Old 23-Oct-2003, 12:37
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Ian, I sold my 16month old beautiful red 996 at end of May after just one 2.5 hour long test ride on a Multistrada. It was definitely love at first ride(ohh errr, missus!).
Don't get me wrong I too had yearned for a 996 since buying my first Ducati (750ss) back in 1999. Even took her on a 3,000 mile circumnavigation of Europe but for all the very reasons that you are wrestling with in your own mind I knew in my heart of hearts it was nothing more than a short term relationship, a brief passionate affair if you like!
If I was going to get the best out of me and my bike on the road then I had to settle for the more practical Multistrada.
With the imminent advent of road charging in Edinburgh I now regularly use the bike for that brief ride into town without the need to get all suited and booted up! No sore wrists and back bumbling around town and the panniers are great load-luggers.
What I would stress though is that I don't see having a Multistrada as settling for second best. For normal every day riding on our roads it's every bit as fun and exciting as the 996 and to be honest I haven't noticed any real appreciable difference in performance. I even believe that the Multistrada is more confidence building and definitely more forgiving on the road.
As for looks well after the 996 nothing was ever going to look as good but it does grow on you. The only real disaapointment was that it didn't sound as good as the 996 but recent fitting of a set of Termi's have sorted that out.
Add a few DP parts and accessories and it really is the business. As for niggles the most annoying of the few there have been is the unavailability of accessories although that has in recent weeks begun to sort itself out, slowly but surely.
I for one don't ever regret replacing the 996 with the MS. On the contrary I now take the bike out much more often and use it in circumstances I wouldn't have dreamed of using the 996.
Try one out and I'm sure you too will be converted.
Best of luck and let us know how you get on!