View Single Post
Old 01-Jul-2003, 22:18
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Cheers, well the good news is, it only torched 1 wire, and i have fixed / patched it up for now by replacing 1 of the thick yellow wires, and snipping off the smaller block connector / plastic mess and putting spades in place. all works fine. Well until i put a load on it anyway i suspect then it will heat up again nicely.
For the cost of the new small section of loom (around £40) and a new rectifier i will be fixing it up as it should be just for peice of mind, and when i sell it i can sell with a clear mind with no bodging on the bike.
Bike is in pretty good shape as it is for a 95 model (if the frame paint looks a little faded in places and a bit of corrosion on the engine cases and a bit of paint flaking off the rear wheel) so i feel it's worth making the effort keeping on top of it.
At the end of the year my plans with the bike are to get billy to strip and rebuild the bike, with a respray of the wheels and frame in original paint, and refinish the motor cases, any nasty bolts or corroded items to be replaced with genuine parts, and try to keep the bike in it's original glory.
Bit over the top for an old 916 perhaps, but it's what turned it around for ducati, and it would be a doddle to sell with low mileage and full (if overdone) service history should i want rid.
I spent over 3k restoring my old F reg RWB NC30 to park it up in the house, but its one hell of an ornament in the hallway.
The little YSR80 has just gone the sameway, and after riding that upto Oulton park for the BSB later this year - i suspect that will also be relegated to ornament.
Hmmm any room in the house for a 916 ??
Nope i need to make room for a NSR250SP which is going to get the same treatment when funds permit

Watch this space