Thread: Road deaths
View Single Post
Old 09-Mar-2009, 21:39
Mille

Don't often make any comments on such topical threads, I agree with all these comments.

But, we hear so much about the death rate of motorcyclist and how dangerous bikes are and the iresponsible riders albeit, born again or the boy racer types.

However we hear very little about the tragic numbers of casualties which are caused by wreckless drivers killing whole families or multiple numbers in car accidents.

I can think of several accidents in the last few months where several people were killed by irresponsible drivers hitting oncoming cars and wipping out a whole family or several occupants.

So wouldn't it be a great idea for this well thinking government, to carry out an experiment in line with the Bejing way of thinking. Cars travel on one day Motorcycles another.

So for example, Monday cars, Tuesday Bikes, Wednesday Cars, Thursday Bikes, Friday Cars, Saturday & Sunday Bikes.

Wouldn't it be interesting for the statistics to see how many drivers and families are wipeed out in comparison to the numbers of riders killed.

Now this is obviously not practical. but if it were possible that the statistics were written in categories of,
Accidents involving cars/Bikes
Accidents involving Bikes/Bikes
Accidents caused by rider error

Someone will come along in a moment and tell me this is how they are compiled, but not from the ones I have seen.

What the stats don't often take into account is the numbers of vehicles on the road ten years ago, in comparison to the numbers of vehicles on the road today.

There are so many factors now that were not aparent 10-20 or 30 years ago, speed is not the only factor.

We see all too regulary how illegal imegrants, youngsters and foreign drivers can drive a car with no UK licence or any idea of legislation, so where should the new legislation start, surely reducing the speed limit is not solving the problem. People will still exceed the limit if it is 60 or 70 miles per hour.

Don't know the answer I'm afraid, but neither do the law makers. But I fee slowing people down will increase convictions for exceeding the limit which generates revenue!

There I've had a little moan now I'll get back in my box and come out when its rattled again.