View Single Post
Old 15-Dec-2004, 21:41
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Trouble is that I don't know too much about slicks. I used slicks for about 3 trackdays this year I (Cadwell, Donny, Brands GP) - but that's it.

I have really only ever used SCs on the track, so there may be better tyres out there, but I'm happy with the SCs. Better the devil you know!!!

And as for slicks, there are many different makes/compounds/types etc, that I know sod all about.

The SCs are far more capable than I am - and I want to feel very comfortable pushing road tyres on the track - especially with the spectre of the Desmo Due about to consume my life!!! - right Weeksy

In fact, when a decision is made about the control tyre in the series - I may get some for the ZX just to test them - psychological I know, but you've got to trust your tyres.

I would recommend slicks to anyone wanting to try them - they inspire lots of confidence, but I always took a long time to really push them as I've heard stories of how you'd struggle to get heat into them etc - again all probably psychological, - but you'd really want to use warmers (see Monty's earlier post).

Then if a session had been redflagged early - you'd be sitting in pitlane waiting to go back out - and you'd have to go through a longer warmup session than I felt you'd need to with treaded tyres.

This year I felt I wanted to try slicks and I have - I will now go back to SCs and hopefully be faster on them than I ever was before - who knows??

I'll stop rambling now!

Tim