Thread: ST3 test ride
View Single Post
Old 31-Jul-2004, 14:39
Ducati Corse

ST3 test ride

Took W Snells (Alton) ST3 out for a good long test ride this morning, on the suggestion of Roger and Robert there as I’m looking for a stable mate for the 998. I have to say I was very impressed.

After climbing off a 998 the riding position is very sit-up-and-beg except the foot pegs are quite high as befits a ‘sport tourer’ - they shouldn’t touch down too easily. The engine is liquid cooled (like the ST2 it replaces) and is a 3 valver. Together with the dry clutch it sound just like any of the supersports engines. And it goes like one too! Good low down torque and a strong top end right round to 9,500rpm, puts out 95bhp and feels like a fit 748. The ride is quite soft but well damped and together with the high clip-on style bars it tips on its ear in a trice, very easy to ride from the word go. Soon we were overtaking sportsbikes on the A31’s numerous roundabouts which was great fun, sat there all comfy without a care in the world – an absolute hoot. If I were to compare it with a non-Ducati I’d say it feels as easy to ride as my old VRF750FT but with a much more powerful and characterful engine.

The screen has a flip-up edge and I didn’t realise at one stage that I was doing 135 until I glanced at the speedo because you’re protected so well from the windblast. Then I changed into top gear. This is a seriously quick machine, it just feels so easy to ride.

There are a couple of slight grumbles however. The bars vibrate a bit over 90 and the brakes are a little wooded although respond well when you give them a good two fingered squeeze. Taken as a whole I loved its easy and capable nature, finding myself going far quicker than I thought because you are cosseted so well by the fairing and the engine is so willing.

Snells also have a Multistrada on their test fleet and is a great family run business to deal with.