Thread: Fork Conversion
View Single Post
Old 06-Sep-2006, 09:18
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
I've got 748 forks on my 888 Strada with the Cyclecat top yoke Rob links to. I originally had the setup on my Superlight which uses basically the same front end so all the work was done there and I just swapped the bits over.

I fitted Hyperpro springs and oil to the 748 forks before I fitted them so have no base settings but the difference is fairly dramatic. The ride feels much more compliant and kinda shows up the standard rear shock.. (next job)

However, would I do it again...? No.... The Cyclecat top yoke is a serious bit of bling and the bike is definitely improved by the new forks but I'm sure getting the standard forks worked on would improve the bike at least as much if not more.

You have to bear in mind too that it isn't just a case of buy top yoke/new forks and jobs a good 'un. You also need new bars, new mudguard, new calipers if you get 65mm spaced forks (and probably new lines too) and then you still have to sort the front wheel.

The problem stems from the 9** series forks having a 25 mm axle. You can either sort it by making up bushes for your fork bottoms and "fiddling" to get it right. Problem that way is you can't access the bottom suspension adjusters without removing the wheel.

Alternatively get a 25mm axle and fit new bearings to your standard wheel. But the bearings need spacing out and you have to then use a 25mm speedo drive and they all come in different widths so you need to work at getting the wheel centred....

Finally you can just go out and buy a 9** wheel axle and speedo drive (which is what I did after trying the first two solutions). That then gives you a newer, lighter (slightly, I believe) wheel that bolts straight up, but you still find your speedo drive ratio is wrong. Again it's sortable but more aggro...

Compare that to remove forks, send to Maxton/KTech etc, refit....

In the end the whole job didn't cost too much 'cos I sold the Superlight parts on ebay. Everyone knows Superlight bits are superior to standard SS parts despite looking the same, having the same part number etc ....