View Single Post
Old 03-May-2005, 14:54
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I wasn't talking about WD40 on brakes though was I? And it wasn't me that said WD wasn't slippery either.

Brake pads get penetrated by WD40, or anything like it. A spot of WD40 on a brake disc gets smeared all over the disc very quickly by the mere fact that the pads have to wipe the disc surface. So if I ever got any WD40 anywhere near them it would be replacement pad time after scrupulous cleaning of the disc. Completely different story to the tyre issue!

I say again, how much WD40 are you likely to get on the contact patch of a tyre in the first place? Any overspray when cleaning wheels is likely to just get on the sidewalls of the tyre, so just wipe it off...you won't be riding on that bit.

I've have managed to get WD onto the contact area, on more than one ocassion, but it's really difficult to get more than a 10 pence sized spot on there unless you purposely spray the tread. WD40 does not get absorbed into the tyre so it will wash or wipe off.

On the road, a spot of WD does not get wiped around the whole circumference of a tyre like it would on a brake disc, it will just stay put and dot the road surface every time it goes round, each time it does that the dust and rubbish on the road will act to blot it up and the tyre will get a little worn and peel away to fresh rubber. If a tiny amount of WD like that on a tyre (which you've already blotted off with a rag anyway) caused a lurid slide, I would be amazed, it certainly hasn't happened to me.