Thread: 888 problems
View Single Post
Old 07-May-2005, 19:14

Mood: Like a rolling stone......
Yo 888heven

Now you know why it's a good idea to keep a clean machine. Swiagrm cracks are some what common as I have had one on my 851 and 888.

A proper welder can make it good as new, so don't pony-up for the $$ to Ducati as you get raped well enough on other Ducati items.

Fwiw......it also a good idea to remove all bolts every year or so because Ducati seems to put these bikes together with salt water.

Remove, clean and put back with anti-seize compound and you'll not have to deal with heli-coils at all.

And yes.......the alternator side cover paper gasget has been unavailable for years now.........seems the bean counters thought the 3 cents for this gasget was too much money to spend on a Ducati.

The Ducati-bond they want you to use works well, but you'll play hell getting the cover off next time. But they don't want you to think about that one. Fugg 'em, I managed to stock up on the paper gasgets long ago and use wheel bearing grease on it when I install. Presto !! No problems getting it off and no leaks at all. Amazing ......eh ??

Even if you do spring a leak, use Hylomar (Rolls, BMW and Jags use it) on your new or old gasget and it will seal like new. The beauty of Hylomar is that it never sets-up and allows removal without all the &%$*^%$ associated with all the "bond 'n seal" products.

Start being a bit more pro-active with your Duck and you won't have to be so reactive.

Mike