View Single Post
Old 14-Apr-2006, 18:35
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Clutch Hydraulics - HELP! ***LINK***

I've read blueto's thread but as my symptoms and possible causes are slightly different, I'm putting up my own thread.

I replaced the clutch plates last week, however, as the clutch cover gasket was knackered I decided not to re-fit it. Big mistake, as the spring caps then fouled the inside of the clutch cover due to lack of clearance. As a result, the clutch wasn't disengaging and while having a fiddle, I squeezed the lever hard a few times, although I'm not really sure what I expected that to do! Whilst squeezing the lever, I heard a click from the master cylinder/clutch lever end of things. I then whipped off the cover and realised what had happened ie: the caps fouling the cover and I put the gasket back in.

However, I am now left with a clutch lever that will work for a while before going dead again. It might be my imagination, but the biting point sometimes seems to be in a different place.

It was particularly bad today - I was out on a ride-out with a couple of mates and spent the last 50 miles of it doing clutchless up AND downshifts. Every time we hit a set of lights in the villages, I was left stranded because, having no clutch lever effort, the bike would stall when I came to a halt.

I would then switch off, get it into neutral and start off again. The lever would be fine for a mile or 2 before the biting point got progressively closer and closer to the bar again, leading to miles of clutchless shifting followed by stalling at the first set of traffic lights I encountered

We stoppped at a garage and I bought some DOT4. I topped up the resevoir as the fluid was a bit low and I also noticed that the fluid was brown and horrible. This top up helped for a while, but soon enough, it was up to its old tricks again and I had to limp home, clutchless shifting and stalling all the way.

I'll obviously try renewing the fluid and bleeding the system, but I'm thinking I may have popped a seal somewhere by pumping the lever (thereby overpressurising the hydraulic system) when the cover was fouling the caps.

What do you lot reckon?

Thanks

[Edited on 14-4-2006 by zhed44]