View Single Post
Old 08-Jul-2003, 10:47
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Brilliant !!!!

As an old duffer who lives in the middle of nowhere, I'm still staggered by the the cost of insurance. I wish I had known about this in late June, because I've just renewed with Bennetts, who I was with last year as well, because despite all my ringing round they were about the best.

This scheme is fantastic, but a thought has just occured to me how it might be made even better. Because, you're still dealing with brokers. For me, Bennetts just front the deal with Norwich Union who actually insure the bike.

Now I can't toddle of directly to the insurers, because their business model, in this case. is constructed to let the brokers do the legwork and they don't want to deal directly with individuals. Naturally, the brokers (even the keen priced ones) have their overheads, and the percentage they mark up is down to how efficiently they run their businesses. But, we're still paying the middle man.

I can understand the insurers not wanting all the admin overhead of dealing with the public in ones and two's, but what if their were loads of us? Something like errrrr....the DSC in fact!

What sort of pricing structure do you think NU or someone like it would offer if the DSC approached them as a broker? I'm sure we could have a web page form on the site (available to paid up members only) where people could pump in their details and send it round (just like Simons idea) but directly to the insurers (even Lloyds Names if need be ).

I have absolutely no idea how the insurance industry is structured so this idea might be complete pants. But....