View Single Post
Old 31-Dec-2004, 13:05
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
If you're talking about a track bike, you really shouldn't add anything. If you're talking about a race bike -DON'T add anything, it's against the rules - if you're caught, well, it could have serious consequences for your licence or club membership. More than that though, ask yourself why it's banned - it's bleeding slippy believe it or not. I was in the CB500/Hornets race at Snetterton this year when 9 bikes went down at the Bomb Hole (very fast corner) on two separate laps until they red flagged it. Yes, 9 bikes on the same corner. Apparantly, it was because the first guy had waterwetter in his rad and it broke on impact and 8 people behind him went down on it like it was ice. There were a lot of very angry people at that meeting as a result.

My race/track bikes sit in my garage from Nov - March with just water and I've not had any icing problems, nor have I had probs at March race meetings with the bike sitting in a freezing cold tent, but not sure if the temp went as low as freezing point, I doubt it. If you're worried, do as Skids says, (good idea mate), or try putting a blanket around the rad.

On some foriegn tracks they scrutineer your bike - it has to be lock-wired and no additives, not sure about belly pans. Check with the organiser before you travel.

WeeJohnyB