View Single Post
Old 24-Aug-2009, 19:56
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Part 2.

So then, after a bit of a wait that was interspersed with some games of dice and drive by shootings in nearby Bristol, we lined up in the holding bay for the first of the DD races. It struck me that there were rather more faces than usual, and then I noticed the large number of spectators on the banks and thought "Sweet...a proper crowd!" I guess this is because the locals are starved of 2 wheeled action for most of the year. Whatever the case, it would be more pockets for Kate to pick so we could afford the fuel home.

I was keen not to repeat my jump start from the Allcomers race, and to be honest, if that daft melee was to have served any purpose at all, I guess getting that out of the way was it. Once again they held the lights for a long time and when they went out you'd have thought that Tom Parkes had been fired from a Medieval style catapult, hastily constructed from Tom's secret collection of vintage French knickers.

As things go, I managed to creep up on the impressively aggressive looking Tom Tom and got the drop on him into the first chicane, having gained a better drive out of Quarry.

I just knew that Shep wouldn't be far behind, and sure enough, he gained on me and passed going into Quarry. I saw him forced into the tight line and immediately swept the bike left to try and grab a faster exit. The bike was completely sideways as I drove past him, and I honestly have no idea how I didn't tap his rear wheel with mine as I went past him. The crowd must have loved that one, cos' I sure did!

I led for a bit and then Shep had another go and got past. We were back and forth so many times, and it was just like the Cadwell tussle...maybe worse! I remember flying out of the first chicane and cracking up through the next kink flat out, with the bike bucking around all over the place, thinking "this is a stupid thing to be doing" and laughing my ass off out loud in my lid.

Tell ya what, it's a great feeling when you realise what a great life you're living...at the time you're doing it. Totally mental!

I managed to get a great drive out of the final corner that leads onto the straight (hated that corner though) and picked up Shep's slipstream. In all honesty, it was the first time I've ever felt a really positive effect from a slipstream. I've noticed it in the past, but not like this. I hurtled towards him and as we were approaching the crest leading into Quarry he was inching towards the outside of the track, leaving me a bikes width to go around the outside....if I dared? I held my breath and shot through...wahhaaaaaaaaaaaaooo!!

Somehow, Shep regrouped immediately and dived up the inside. We were never seperated by more than a few inches from now, even flying past a backmarker on the brakes into the chicane. It wasn't to be though, and having slithered and slipped our way round the 8 laps, it came down to the final chicane.

Shep didn't know I was that close, and I considered really squeezing up the inside, but in all honesty, he'd JUST about covered that door and I had to back out of it. I ramped the kerb on the way out and lost drive, giving Shep the win by a second. I was gutted, but happy to have put up such a good fight on my first ride here.

Tom Parkes grabbed a fantastic 3rd place, and this time it was on merit. Well done dude, awesome ride.

The second race soon came around, and after just a couple of laps, it became apparent that the tyes has nothing left to give. So much so, that I'm not prepared to sell these ones as scrubs for racers. They can go on Ebay for a road rider to use.

It was a shame, I think I'd learned enough from the first race to give Shep a taste of his own medicine, but I guess we'll never know. With the 2 Oulton park non scores, it was critical to finish and pull more points over Will in 3rd place in the championship, which I duly did as he finished 4th in the first race, then regrouped to collect 3rd in the second.

Shep now has a pretty solid looking lead over me in the championship, but just as long as we go to Cadwell with it still mathematically possible for me to win I'll be happy, cos it'll be the first time that's ever happened in the A class.

Harriet had an amazing ride to win both her races in front of hef family, well done petal. Excellent stuff.

Thanks once again to my sponsors, including Tim Pollard, who came over to have a look and say hi, was great to see you.

Thanks to Chris and Cathy, who have shown such astounding support and commitment to me this year that I feel truly humble.

Lastly, to my wife for her continued love and understanding with regard to this crazy, expensive and wonderful sport.

Wales next......bring out the leeks!

Otei #85