View Single Post
Old 16-Jan-2012, 14:12
DSC Club Rep
Montjuic

Response from Texaco

I've contacted some of the main UK fuel providers; BP, Shell, Exxon (Mobil and Esso) and Valero (Texaco) for clarification on what's in our fuel.

I have had a first response back from Valero which I have pasted below. Based on this feedback I will be filling my Sport Classic up with Texaco Super Unleaded this afternoon!

I believe E10 is being fazed in 2013 but E5 is supposed to be available in the UK until 2015 from what I've heard. But I do remember LRP disappeared pretty quickly from UK forecourts. E5 can certainly damage a plastic tank now. E10 can potentially damage carbs if left in in the float bowls and cause seals to fail

I will post any further info as soon as I receive it from the petrol companies. I am going to get my tank lined with Caswells tank liner. There are a number of companies who will do this for you listed on the Caswells UK website.

--------

Thank you for your email dated 14th January 2012 regarding ethanol in fuels.

Ethanol was introduced in the UK in order to meet the RTFO (Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation). In order to meet the obligation biodiesel is blended with diesel and ethanol is blended with petrol. The conversion of the specification for EN228 to include up to 10% Ethanol is currently being reviewed and agreement is not expected until late 2012. Therefore it is unlikely that gasoline with greater concentrations than 5% ethanol will be introduced before this time.

For any petrol containing up to 5% ethanol no additional labelling is required at the pump. If the ethanol content of the petrol is above 5% then there must be clear labelling on the pump stating this (for example E10).

Currently in the UK Texaco Unleaded 95 octane may contain up to 5% ethanol. Texaco Super Unleaded and Supreme Unleaded do not contain ethanol but this may change in the future.

The expectation is that E10 will come onto the UK market late 2012 / early 2013. It is advisable to speak to your car manufacturer if possible if you have any questions regarding the compatibility of your vehicle with ethanol blended petrol.

I hope you will find the information provided useful.

Yours sincerely

UK & Ireland Customer Care Team