View Single Post
Old 14-Feb-2005, 16:56
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gareth
Just to add to the discussion....

I had an Aprilia RSVR for a couple of years. Loved the bike, covered over 12000 miles on it mainly on the road but a couple of track days, and plenty of long distance touring.

Reliability was an issue though...it never let me sitting at the side of the road but it did need a couple of sets of fork seals (Ohlins) which kept it off the road for about a week each time, and it melted a side fairing panel when it got too hot in Spain once. All the work completed under warranty. However the point that finally saw us parting company was when I returned from Switzerland in July 2003 and the rear brake needed bleeding after the altitude. It needed the power bleed so it went back to the dealer. The dealer told me that the head bearings needed replacing and that the bike was dangerous to ride as it was. The dealer ordered the parts and the bike sat in their workshop...it sat, and sat and sat and I chased and chased and chased. September came and I had enough, I took the bike back from the dealer and traded it in against a CBR600RR so I could have some reliable fun before the summer was over. The head bearings finally arrived from Aprilia in Italy at the end of November. The dealer didn't know that I had sold the bike and the parts are sitting in my garage to this day.

I am missing the V-Twin...I really admire the new Aprilia Factory and was really tempted, but the parts availability, which at the time was bad and this was before the financial troubles, was enough to put me off them. I am an Aprilia fan, but my deposit has just gone down on a new 999 and I am waiting for it to arrive. (Been waiting a week...only another 7 to go until it arrives!!)

Whilst I recognise that the Ducati might not be any more reliable than the Aprilia, I have comfort from the fact that there is a better dealer network and parts are, as a result, in more ready supply. I would hope, fingers cross and wood touched, that if I have any problems it will be sorted quickly and efficiently. I would not wish to experience the Aprilia incident again...over three months for a set of head bearings !

Thought I would share this with you...something well worth considering when making your decision.

I had a MilleR for 3 years and didn't had a single problem.
But i'm also considering getting a Duc
Hey what 999 are you getting? The standard 05?