View Single Post
Old 07-Oct-2006, 16:45
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools
Anything is possible with enough time and cash so a Testastretta could probably be mangled into the frame somehow...to be honest though I wouldn't bother. Think of it this way, by the time you've got a tidy Strada and then spent, what, £1200+ on an eBay 'stretta engine you're well into the price of a tidy, late 999 where you'd get your 'stretta with no hassle. T8's aren't bargain basement and even when I got my Strada I could've had a 2003 749S for pretty much the same money. The other thing is, and I'll be just a tiny bit puritanical here, to me dropping a testastretta lump in is not really in the spirit of the bike - but then it wouldn't be my bike so you could do what you liked.

Standard suspension on a Strada is Showa up front, with 40mm spacing caliper mounts and ooh, err, ummm I think Sachs or Boge at the back, but I couldn't be sure without looking in the manual. I find the standard suspension suits me very well (although I am going to drop the front end by 10mm to speed the steering a bit)

So, an ohlins/white power/something shock for it and a k-tech cartridge kit for the forks .. some nice geometry ... radial pumps and some GP billets ... tuned 996 engine similar to what I had done to my 996 and a lovely SoT machine is born

To be honest although the 999 shape has grown on me to the extent that I'd happily own one (I think!) I'd prefer the 888.

One thing I keep coming back to though is the weight differences between the strada and the SP which is a consideration if I wanted to race it. Especially considering my weight