View Single Post
Old 11-Mar-2006, 08:38
Mille

Hi,

Thank you all for your posts and thanks shazaam for the long and very interesting explanation.

So in my case i did the following test in orders to check if there is a short in the lighting system.

With the lights off and the engine at idle and regulator putting ~13.9V i connected an H4 55w lamp directly to the battery. The readout dropped exactly like before ~12.5V (perhaps not so much because with the lights on there's also the number plate light, front an tail lights + instrument panel). So practically the issue is not in the electrical system, it should be in the current output.

The regulator fitted my 916 by the previous owner is a SH673-12 that i checked that was originaly fitted to the 996 2000 model. It was initially a 3 phase system regulator, but mine has the middle yellow wire completely removed (not by someone, but it looks like it has been removed when it was built). Has Ducati offered these regulators to change the bad old ones???

I have another SH579B-11 3 phase regulator from a 2000 748 and i put it on the bike.

With the lights on it gave exactly the same value as before (12.3), but with the lights off it didn't increase over 13.7v. I revved it all the way through the range and never increased a bit.

So, judging both cases i assumed there's a probelm with the alternator that is not functioning ok and therefore i ordered a new stator/rotor for 160 pounds from Electrex.

It should arrive next week and i'll get it fitted asap. I still stayed with the current regulator (SH673-12), but i will change it if it doesn't make the desired current.

I will change all the wiring from the stator to the regulator with the 10 gauge type just in case.

I also have to add that i did this test with the fuel filter replaced 2 days ago.

Do you have other ideas in this case? What else should i do?