Thread: Smoking
View Single Post
Old 31-Aug-2011, 07:44
Bevel Head
Bikes: Ducati 996B, Triumph Sprint ST 955i

Smoking

After a ride on Sunday, my mates summoned the courage to tell me Tuesday that the 996 is smoking on acceleration.

I warmed it up yesterday on the side stand plus a bit of wood to get near upright and when cold there is a steady white puffing - probably condensation from a cold engine. At 40 C and above this dissapears. However, when blipping the throttle, a jet of white smoke is emmitted from the horizontal cylinder exhaust can.

I realise this could be down to a lot of different ailments but just thought I'd post up here anyway for some thoughts.
looks like the inside of the exhaust can from the horizontal cylinder is more dirty than the vertical.

Bike has been for sale at the dealers since at least March 2010 and apart from a few test rides it has been laid up there that long till I got it last week.

As the clutch is so worn & noisy I cant tell if the engine sounds abnormal - not that I would know anyway so I shall pop over to BikeTech in tamworth to let him have a look at it before I take it back to the dealers for the clutch

I've put some petrol treatment in the tank to see if it makes any difference - poss injector dirty.

On another matter, how much if any oil should a 24,000 mile engine use?