View Single Post
Old 30-May-2006, 21:13
Big Twin

Mood: is it cos i is a bricklayer
Unhappy Battery, rectifier or generator problem ???

just as i was thinking that i had got a reliable bike 600SS, the old girl lets me down.
historic symptoms;
rode the best part of 220 miles yesterday just bimbling around the southern counties bumped into skids and co at foxes last night all was fine - rode into work this morning just as i pulled up into the car park engine cut out pushed the starter and nothing no solonoid clicking no fairy lights on the dash and a very dim dipped beam pushed the horn button (no noise) and dipped beam degenerates into a non existent luminosity-- ah flat battery i thought, but why? i ask myself ,alternator,rectifier perhaps ah well i'll ring the AA later they'll have man that knows or at least i'll get the pleasure of a ride home in the recovery truck with the embarresment of well placed Ducati on the back--mid afternoon i decide to wiggle few wires in front of me workmates trying not scratch me head and makeing it look as if i knew what i was looking at and see if anything happens switched the key on pressed the starter and she fires into life ticksover well all lights etc bright as buttons- ah well wonder what that was all about then-- rode the bike home - well, within 50 yards of the front door anyway she cut out again same symptoms as before--
ive put the voltage tester across the ternimals theres only 8.5 volts
battery on charge now so i can get the engine fired up to test the rectifrier and genarotor output

so given the symptoms of a well drained battery this morning only to appear to have gained some mysterious added voltage thruout the day to start the bike and get me home tonight to break down with a discharged battery again-whats going on????? ive had no bulbs blowing or constant topping up of the battery - as if the rectifrier was doing its best to cook the battery-- i dont know the age of the battery altho looking at the cells in the battery they appear to be fine and also even if the bike has stood for a few days the starter has turned starter motor over very quickly-- the lights when the engine is running all appear to be fine so maybe the genorotor is working ok until the engine has cut out then like i said all the symptoms of a flat battery.

anyone had experience of similiar symptoms??? can any one shed ( excuse the pun) any light on the problem??? am taking bets on the cause but will know more as soon as the rectifier and genorotor is tested- oh and a new fuel filter was fitted two months ago - unless i got some real dirty fuel from somewhere
suggestions please?
dave