View Single Post
Old 29-Dec-2006, 00:32
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
I was amazed how well I slept, considering that I'd be ticking one of life's major boxes the next day, but I was also glad, as I figured that Laguna was going to be a pretty physical track, and I haven't seen a gym in over a month.

It was dark when we set off from the hotel, so it was hard to see what the weather was up to, but it was dry, and that was what counted. As the skies brightened, we could see that it was slightly overcast, and it looked like it might start to drizzle. I tried to remain upbeat, but was now itching to get the briefing over and done with and get onto the track.

The organisers, Red Shift, were very nice, extremely helpful and not at all bolshy. Something else of note, is that Laguna is very much like Brands GP, in that they only get about 5 dates a year for trackdays. The day had cost the equivalent of 150 quid, and they even chucked in a really nice lunch (there was loads of really nice food, but I just had a small plate of chicken and salad). I can't ever imagine getting that here, even if I had paid 250 for a brands GP trackday.

There was a guy there doing onboard video for $95. Fortunately, Amy knew him (Brant WiWi,WSMC No1 plateholder, great name too!) and he owed her a favour, as she had taken care of everything when he'd had a major off at a track and smashed his hand up. She basically organised for all his stuff to make it home etc. He announced that he would be giving away a half price video session to one of the lucky punters. Imagine our surprise when he called my name out. Nice one Brant!

So then, to the track. we went out in the fast group, as I'd always rather be the slowest in the fast group, than amongst a bunch of people who weren't sure whether they were quick or not. At least you were in experienced company.

Now it isn't very often that I go to a track, do one session and not at least know where the track goes, but wether it was a combination of the high anticipation and the technical layout of the track or what I don't know. But when I came in off the first session, I had no clue where the bloody track went at all! This unerved me slightly, as I only had another 2 sessions before we'd arranged to do some video work. I didn't want to look like a nobber.

The next session was much better, the sun was out and I started to get a feel for the track. I was slightly worried that I'd be disappointed. I needn't have bothered, it's awesome. I wouldn't say that it's any more spectacular than Cadwell..in fact I'd go so far as to say that Cadwell is a little crazier, but there are places where you really have to know where you're going in order to go quickly, and I instantly saw why Rossi couldn't win there straight away, it's pretty unique.

The 3rd session was better still, and I now felt as thoughI was ready to at least look half decent on the bike video. The corkscrew is cool, and not as intimidating as some would have you believe. I think the part that was intimidating is the fact that there's a large area of sealer where the track has been repaired at the top, and it doesn't look as though it would offer any grip whatsoever. The real intimidating part is the braking zone, which is very difficult to get absolutely right.

At this point, a mate of mine, Dave Wallis turned up. I met dave when I sold him a CBR 400 cyinder head over a year and a half ago, but hadn't hooked up in realtime yet, so it ws cool to meet him. truth be told, he's the original reason I managed to get over here, so I owe him a great debt. I'd like to get him racing in the UK next year as well as Amy, so I may be trying to blag spare bikes left right and centre!