Thread: Iron discs...
View Single Post
Old 30-May-2003, 13:39
Mille

Mood: I'm Bad!
Iron discs...

Wonder if you guys can help shed any light on my latest issue.

I'm running the cast iron full-floating brembo discs (standard fitment on my sps) which when I bought the bike were spot on.

Last year I replaced the standard pads with sintered race compound pads from Ferodo - beliving that as usual, the sintered pads would offer the best performance.

However, they don't perform as I expected. I've run the for about 2000 miles now, so there can't be any further "bedding in" needed. They work very well from higher speeds (when warm of course), but I don't seem to get any real bite when coming to a complete halt, and "stoppie's" are out of the question - in fact, rather than getting a crisp and clean bite, and being able to lock the wheel - all I get it a very load noise from the disc slipping through the pads.

Bled the fluid and checked the calipers - all seems to be fine - so I'm guessing its just a bad combitation of pads and discs.

My query though, revolves around something I saw in a magazine recently, advising that on iron discs, only organic pads should be used, and not sintered ones.

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?