View Single Post
Old 12-Oct-2004, 01:03
Big Twin

Hey Weeksy,
you did not offend me at all! I did not mean to sound like I was having a go at you. I do not know you but I have read many of your posts and to me you represent all that is good in this club! You always seem willing to take the time to advise and help people and you have my respect for that.

A few years ago 1996 ish Neil borrowed a fireblade of one of my mates and went out for a Sunday run with the lads I used to ride with a lot. I was on Holiday at the time but came back to hear all the tales about how they had all "done him" on the run up to Hawes in the yorkshire dales. Some of these deluded souls seriously thought that because they were prepared to stick their neck out by going over blind crest at 130-140mph with sheep and tractors everywhere and he wasnt that they somehow were quicker than him! The same lads were in utter disbelief that when I did my first trackday about 5 years ago at Donnington I went in the intermediate group and seemed to be somewhere midway between the fastest and the slowest of the group. They seemed to think that because I was the same pace as them on the road that I should be high up in the fast group!!

When I mentioned that Ron Haslam and Matt llewellyn? had passed me down craner curves on 600s and had made me feel as if I was going backwards they seriously asked why I had not repassed them on the straights as I was on a R1! These mates of mine seriously think that because they are quick on the road that they will also be on the track, although they refuse to do a track day saying it will be boring! They have no concept of the difference and cannot understand my point in that for the most part the quickest on the roads is the one most prepared to take the biggest risks (sheep, tractors, cars, diesel etc) where on a track its just your skill and ability that makes you quick. Rattler met one of these lads the other week as he bought the zx10r of him and I was a little embarrased as my mate Tom was telling him to how to ride it as I knew it was destined to be thrashed around various tracks and ridden as the maker intended.

So my point is that I was not having a go at you, more the type of people I have mentioned here.