View Single Post
Old 12-Oct-2004, 18:25
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
This could be read as hope for Big Trev... Errrr I mean Troy !! LOL!!!

The Ducati Marlboro Team has told Crash.net that, contrary to reports, no decision has yet been made about the future of Troy Bayliss at the factory team.

Some reports from Sepang stated that former World Superbike champion Bayliss had been told that he would not be joining Loris Capirossi at the factory outfit in 2005. Something the team denies...

"I know everybody is speaking about (Troy leaving), but in reality nothing has been decided for next year yet," a Ducati Marlboro spokesperson told Crash.net.

"Troy is one of the best riders in the world, he's strong and determined, and so it wouldn't be an easy matter to find a suitable substitute.

"I'm afraid we will have to wait some more time before knowing exactly what will happen next year..."

Bayliss has endured a tough 2004 season, with a best finish of fourth and only six points' finishes from the fourteen races so far held. However, the 2004 Desmosedici - unlike its predecessor - has rarely been a match for the leading Hondas and Yamahas.

Indeed, highly-rated Capirossi, although having almost doubled Troy's present 48 world championship points, has also failed to reach the podium in 2004 and – like his team-mate – has a solitary fourth place finish to his credit.

Should Bayliss be replaced, the popular Australian's options are likely to include a move to a rival MotoGP team, perhaps staying within the Ducati 'family' by switching to the satellite d'Antin team, or a return to World Superbikes.

Suzuki's John Hopkins, Yamaha's Carlos Checa and even Honda's Sete Gibernau have all been linked to the second factory Ducati ride - with Hopkins fast emerging as favourite.

Bayliss's home event, the Australian Grand Prix at Philip Island, starts this Friday.