View Single Post
Old 14-Apr-2006, 21:38
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fordie
Zhed, when you pulled the clutch apart did you check the pushrod , ive had one break before and that will give intermitent problem. The pushrod can stick if the bearing on the pressure plate is siezed then it spins the pushrod and knacker the slave cylinder seals although the brake fluid does turn dark soon after replacing it turning brown does'nt sound to healthy ,any signs of leakage at the slave. It may be a replacement slave cylinder needed 4D

thanks for the advice - much appreciated

when it started doing it last week after i'd replaced the clutch plates i took all the plates out and put them back in again just to make sure that i had done it properly. one thing i did do was i only used one plain plate in the base of the basket, because this was how the clutch pack that came out was made up. however, this cannot be the cause of the problem because it was already happening after i had used 2 plain plates the first time i installed the pack. however, the pushrod looked fine - and as i was also thinking i'd possibly bent the pushrod, i did have a look, but in all honesty i couldn't tell whether or not is was bent.

i had the fairing off earlier and there is no sign of leakage anywhere in the system.

i'm really puzzled as to why the lever is ok for a while and then loses effort. the bike was ok for all of last week after nelly talked me through some fixes on the phone including slackening off and then retightening the slave cylinder bolts in order to possibly release the pushrod. the bike was fine after that when pottering around london, but it's only today after speeds of *ahem*mph and some reasonably spirited riding that it's started playing up again and if anything is now worse than it was.

BTW: what is the function of the recessed screw in the clutch lever mechanism, the end of which operates the button/rod that goes into the master cylinder? can it/should it be adjusted? i can't find any mention of it in the haynes manual.

i mentioned earlier that happened when i was forcing the lever when the caps were fouling the cover that i heard a "click" - well the click came from the area of that screw/button interface. could something have failed in that little mechanism?

one last thing - when i took the cap off the resevoir today, the diaphragm was hanging down like a little condom inside the resevoir. i didn't think anything of it, but when reading the haynes when i got back, i noticed that this diagphragm is supposed to be compressed. is this significant?

sorry about the essay length post

[Edited on 14-4-2006 by zhed44]

[Edited on 14-4-2006 by zhed44]