View Single Post
Old 22-Nov-2005, 12:23
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray
HW,

Gulp!

There are a number of reasons for the clearances to be out of tolerance maybe I was just lucky or ................

Were the rockers OK?

The stretta motors don't tend to wear rockers/shims in normal circumstances...................maybe Ducati haven't laid that ghost to rest after all.

Ray

The rocker issue is not so much "which engine" but more "when were they manufactured/fitted".

There is a tech article on Sigma's website that explains it (I think), but the gist of it is that during a period in the 90's when Ducati were trying to cut some costs they sub contracted out the hard chroming of the rockers. They subsequently discovered that the chroming was not up to standard and was prone to flaking causing increased cam wear. Ducati then stopped outsourcing and did the job themselves in house. They will retrofit where they find a problem and any new rockers will be OK (in that respect). Of course, all Testestretta engineed bikes will have new(ish) rockers so should not be an issue (not the same issue anyway!).

I don't know why that bike needed so many - although I have a suspsicion that it was not an Italia bike originally. I would be surprised too if a new bike came from them, and then needed that many doing at service. It's not like it's had a particularly hard life either - well looked after.