View Single Post
Old 06-Nov-2006, 22:13
Mille

Talking

Hi mate
I too have a Strada with paint flaking off all over the engine due to the bike having been stood for years in a damp barn. The bike has been stripped to bare frame and rebuilt. The only thing I didn't do last winter is the engine, as I needed the bike ready for a trip to the Nurburgring last June. So I'm not reallt sure the best way to go. It would be easy to do if the engine was stripped but I dont want to do that as the mileage is so low and theres no point really.
The only thing I think I can do is strip all the ancilliaries off, wire brush the worst of the flaky paint off and then use a Dremel (or similar) with a wire brush attachment, or maybe Nitromors. The paint stripper route maybe better as your less likely to damage the surface,and its quick.

As far as repainting is concerned, a small compressor and a small paint gun or airbrush would be OK with some careful masking. My engine is in various different shades of silver and grey at the moment but later engines seem to be mostly the same colour. Depends how far you want to go for originality.

I would say that as I havent done any of this yet, dont blame me if it all goes tits up.............!!

Good luck
Let me know how it goes

Cheers
Andy